You are currently viewing Premier: Grimsby RHC 12th Oct 2019

Premier: Grimsby RHC 12th Oct 2019

Grimsby RHC 2 – 7 King’s Lynn RHC

King’s Lynn travelled to Grimsby on Saturday in their second match of the new Premier League season, fresh off a 0 – 6 victory against Cambridgeshire rivals Soham. Lynn, who’ve upped the ante this year in search of their 5th consecutive Premier League trophy, lost at this venue last season, suffering a 5 – 3 defeat in what transpired as their only one of the campaign. Although Lynn got retribution in the National Cup Final, beating Grimsby 4 – 1, their attacking threat coming into this game was not underestimated, not least because Grimsby thrashed Premier League newcomers Herne Bay 10 – 1 the week before.

This game was a different story, however, and Lynn took control from the off, steadily finding their rhythm with a period of sustained possession that brought the opener within the first ten minutes, as Jack Tucker collected a pass on the edge of the area and sent a first time shot high into the centre of the net.

Grimsby, former two-time Premier League champions, responded quickly, creating a couple of half chances before capitalising on a Lynn error that allowed Grimsby captain Nic Johnson the time and space to collect the ball in the area and slot a sharp finish in at the near post.

Lynn, unwilling to allow a shift in momentum, responded immediately as Tucker collected the ball behind the goal and swept it around the post to score his second of the game. Owen Norris then made the most of Lynn’s possession play, squeezing a deft flick from the edge of the area in at the near post for Lynn’s third.

Grimsby, never to be discounted, retaliated with a number of chances of their own, forcing Will Martin into a number of excellent saves, particularly at the far post, that otherwise would’ve seen parity restored.

Lynn went into half-time with the score 1 – 3, and came out after the break looking to put the game to bed. Grimsby, following a script of their own, thought differently, and after Lynn conceded an indirect free hit for failing to clear the ball from their own half in time, they worked the ball to Johnson, who fired a characteristic bullet into the top corner.

The game, now a contest once again, intensified as both sides pursued decisive goals. Lynn had two efforts disallowed, the first because of uncertainty as to whether the entirety of the ball had crossed the line, and the second because Tucker played the ball from the floor in the build up. Undeterred, Tucker went on to win a penalty for Lynn, which Josh Taylor converted for his first of the game, and Lynn’s fourth. Taylor then completed his second hat trick in two games with a couple of direct free hits, the first a flick over Revill’s right shoulder, and the second a simple finish from a quick shimmy that left the Grimsby keeper’s stick-side exposed.

With fives minutes to spare, Grimsby resorted to long range efforts on goal in search of a deflection, but Tom Allander, in for Martin in the second half, ensured all such attempts were parried to safety. Harvey Dugdale, just 17 years old, then opened his account for the season–having scored six last campaign–with an accurate far-post finish, just moments after sending a delicious volley over the bar.

Beside Marc Waddingham’s head injury with just 50 seconds remaining, there was no late drama to dampen the sheen on Lynn’s dominant performance, which they saw out to triumph 2 – 7. Lynn’s next game is away to newly promoted Ely and Chesterton United, commencing at 7.15pm at Ross Peers Sports Centre, in Soham, on Saturday 19th October. Thanks to Samueljacks for their continued support!

Captain Vancouver Man of the Match: Jack Tucker

Goal Scorers:

  • Josh Taylor (C) (3)
  • Jack Tucker (2)
  • Owen Norris
  • Harvey Dugdale

The Squad:
Tom Allander (GK), Will Martin (GK), Matthew Baker, Ryan Barnes , Harvey Dugdale, Jamie Griffin, Joshua Horn, Owen Norris, Josh Taylor (C) , Jack Tucker,

Michael Baker and Andy Horn